Virtual Library

Start Your Search

Wolfgang Brückl

Author of

  • +

    Lunch & Poster Display session (ID 58)

    • Event: ELCC 2019
    • Type: Poster Display session
    • Track:
    • Presentations: 1
    • Moderators:
    • Coordinates: 4/11/2019, 12:30 - 13:00, Hall 1
    • +

      125P - Elderly patients treated with afatinib in clinical practice: Results from the prospective non-interventional study GIDEON (ID 294)

      12:30 - 13:00  |  Presenting Author(s): Wolfgang Brückl

      • Abstract


      Elderly patients are often underrepresented in clinical trials, leading to uncertainties in the treatment of these patients in the clinical routine.

      a9ded1e5ce5d75814730bb4caaf49419 Methods

      The prospective non-interventional study GIDEON allows analyzing a German real world patient collective treated with afatinib according to label. This analysis focusses on patients older than 70 years.

      20c51b5f4e9aeb5334c90ff072e6f928 Results

      Patients older than 70 years account for 44% of the GIDEON study population (n = 67). Main EGFR mutation in this population was Del.19 (n = 43, 64%), followed by L858R und rare mutations (both n = 12, 18%). Brain metastases at baseline were detected in 22% of patients (n = 15). Afatinib dose was reduced in 55% (n = 37) of all patients older than 70 years and in 58% of patients younger than 70 years. The percentage of patients who received a starting dose of afatinib lower than 40mg was higher in the elderly population (n = 25, 37%) compared to patients younger than 70 years (18%). Main Afatinib related side effects of grade 3 or higher were independent of age, with diarrhea (18% in patients <70 years and 15% in patients ≥70 years) as the most frequent adverse drug reactions. Overall response rate was 78% and disease control rate was 93% in the elderly population. PFS rate at one year was 62%.

      fd69c5cf902969e6fb71d043085ddee6 Conclusions

      With 44% of the whole study population, elderly patients (>70 years) are well represented in GIDEON. Therefore, these data provide important information for the routine clinical use of afatinib in these patients. With an overall response rate of 78% and a PFS-rate of 62% after one year, these data support the use of afatinib in elderly patients. Adverse drug reactions of grade 3 or more were not significantly higher in the elderly group.

      b651e8a99c4375feb982b7c2cad376e9 Clinical trial identification


      7a6a3ffa2dadc03a6151ee2c4d6fa383 Legal entity responsible for the study

      Boehringer Ingelheim.

      213f68309caaa4ccc14d5f99789640ad Funding

      Boehringer Ingelheim.

      682889d0a1d3b50267a69346a750433d Disclosure

      W. Brückl: Fees for consulting and/or lectures: AbbVie, AstraZeneca, BMS, Boehringer Ingelheim, Celgene, Chugai, Lilly, MSD, Pfizer, Roche, Stratifyer. M. Reck: Honoraria for lectures and consultancy: Hoffmann-La Roche, Lilly, Amgen, Boehringer Ingelheim, Abbot, AstraZeneca, Celgene, BMS, MSD, Merck, Novartis, Pfizer. A. Maerten, C. Hoffmann: Employee: Boehringer Ingelheim. All other authors have declared no conflicts of interest.