Start Your Search
MO24 - NSCLC - Chemotherapy III (ID 110)
- Event: WCLC 2013
- Type: Mini Oral Abstract Session
- Track: Medical Oncology
- Presentations: 1
MO24.02 - Treatment decisions for elderly patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in Italian clinical practice: results from the RIGHT-3 project by Italian Association of Medical Oncology (ID 3115)
10:30 - 12:00 | Author(s): A. Ori
In 2004, the Italian Association of Medical Oncology (AIOM) created the RIGHT (Research for the identification of the most effective and highly accepted clinical guidelines for cancer treatment) program. The third step of the program, RIGHT3, aimed to evaluate the concordance between AIOM lung cancer guidelines and clinical practice in Italy. Description of treatment decisions for elderly patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) was among the indicators. According to 2009 AIOM guidelines, single-agent chemotherapy with a third-generation agent was a reasonable choice for elderly patients with advanced NSCLC, whilst evidence about use of platinum-based treatment in the elderly population was judged potentially affected by selection bias and not conclusive.
RIGHT3 was a retrospective observational study conducted in a sample of 53 Italian lung cancer centers, representative of 230 AIOM centers. Patients with NSCLC diagnosis who had their first visit at the oncology center during 2010 and followed-up for at least 6 months were included. Proportion of elderly patients with stage IV disease receiving chemotherapy was among the 14 indicators evaluated.
Overall, 306 pts with stage IV NSLSC were enrolled, and 299 were evaluable. Of these, 91 (30.4%) were older than 70. In the elderly subgroup, 81 pts (89%) were treated with first-line chemotherapy. In detail, a single-agent treatment was administered in 28 (34.6%) of cases, and a combination chemotherapy in the other 53 cases (65.4%). Among pts receiving platinum-containing doublets, carboplatin was more frequently used than cisplatin: carbo-gemcitabine (16 pts), carbo-pemetrexed (12 pts), cisplatin-pemetrexed (8 pts), cisplatin-gemcitabine (7 pts), carbo-vinorelbine (4 pts) were the 5 most frequently used regimens.Thirty pts (33%) received a second-line chemotherapy: single-agent in 23 cases, combination chemotherapy in 7 cases.
First-line platinum-based combination chemotherapy was commonly used in elderly patients with advanced NSCLC in 2010 by the Italian Lung cancer centers involved. First-line single-agent treatment, recommended by AIOM 2009 guidelines as the treatment choice with highest level of evidence, was used only in a minority of patients.
Only Active Members that have purchased this event or have registered via an access code will be able to view this content. To view this presentation, please login or select "Add to Cart" and proceed to checkout.